Cunningham Road, Cubbon Road, St. Marks Road – These roads not in a European city; they are in Bangalore. Most of the roads in Bangalore have European names as Roads named after the rulers, whether they are Europeans or Indians who have made a contribution to the prosperity and development of the city. Let us take a journey through stories behind roads and areas of Bangalore city
Mahatma Gandhi Road
Mahatma Gandhi Road was till 1948 known as South Parade and was perhaps the first road to be given a new nomenclature if not identity after Independence. It runs east from Trinity Circle at one end to Anil Kumble circle at the other. M. G. Road is also one of the busiest roads in the city and is lined on one side with retail stores, food outlets and restaurants. It is adjacent to the Museum Road and perpendicular to Brigade Road.
The British found Bangalore to be a pleasant and appropriate place to station their garrison. The heart of the Bangalore Cantonment was the Parade Ground. The Civil and Military Station grew around the Parade Ground. In the 19th century, the Bangalore Cantonment had clubs, churches, bungalows, shops and cinemas. Thus, there was Artillery Road, Brigade Road, Infantry Road, Cavalry Road, as part of Cantonment Area. The Bangalore Cantonment had a strong European influence with public residence and life.
The Chamarajendra Park was renamed as Cubbon Park after Sir Mark Cubbon, the British Commissioner of Mysore, in the mid-19th century. He helped reform the finances of Mysore, and created a peaceful and prosperous government. Cubbon Road and Cubbon Park in Bangalore are named for him.
For sometime, Cunningham Road, the crowded bazaar it is today, was being called Sampangi Ramaswamy Temple Road. It was named after Francis Cunningham who was an officer in the Madras Army
St. Marks Road
St.Mark’s Road gets its name from the famous St.Mark’s Cathedral, the oldest Anglican Church under the governing body of the Church of South India (CSI) . Modelled on St. Paul’s Cathedral of the 17th century and built in a beautiful colonial structure, the church is having an elegant dome over a semicircular chamber.
Lavelle Road is a destination for those looking to spend money—housing, as it does, some of the city’s chicest shopping spots. It is named after an Irish soldier Michael. F. Lavelle, who re-discovered the gold mines in Kolar
The area surrounding Residency Road in the city center boasts a number of high end eat out and accommodation options. The house of the British resident of Mysore was located on Residency Road during earlier days
Jayanagar is a residential and commercial neighbourhood of the city of Bangalore . It is sub-divided into ten blocks, most of which comprise residential areas. The area came into existence in 1948 and is named after Maharajah Jayachamrajendra Wodeyar, who was the 25th and the last Maharaja of the princely state of Mysore
Malleswaram located in the north-west of Bangalore, derives its name from the famous Kaadu Malleswara temple. Sri Venkatranga Iyengar , the step brother of Chhatrapati Shivaji , is credited with the founding of Malleshwaram. Malleswaram is one of the areas in Bangalore where you can find many Hindu Temples. Also,it is a hotspot of educational activities with many schools and colleges spread all across the area.
Basavanagudi is a residential and commercial locality in South Bangalore and borders Jayanagar. The name “Basavanagudi” refers to the Bull Temple that is located here and is one of the oldest areas in Bangalore. Basava in Kannada, means Bull and Gudi means temple. Hence, the name Basavanagudi. Some well known religious places are the Bull temple, Ramakrishna Ashram and Shankar Matt.